Hamptons style is truly timeless. A perfect blend of deep blues, crisp whites and soft natural textures, it embodies elegance, extravagance and relaxed beachside living all at once. Originating from the affluent seaside towns north of New York City, Hamptons living has long been coveted the world over. Now, you can bring the ageless look into your home – without having to uproot and move to the Hamptons themselves. Read on to find out how.
- Start with a bare base. The foundation of any Hamptons style home is white – white walls, windows and ceilings. You can go rogue and opt for beige, cream or grey, but stick to the general rule of ‘light and bright’.
- It’s window treatment time. Plantation shutters are the obvious choice for a Hamptons style room, as they are clean, crisp and functional. Floor-to-ceiling curtains are another great option, adding drama and softness to your space. You can even go all out and team the two together, in different shades, to create that multi-tonal, multi-textured look that is signature Hamptons.
- When it comes to key pieces of furniture like sofas, beds and dressers, the heavier the better. Think large, sumptuous couches and armchairs, long side tables and spacious beds. Lots of strategically placed tables and seating are key to making your home feel like the extravagant living rooms of the Hamptons.
- The next step: layers, layers, layers. The Hamptons colour palette may be simple, but in terms of texture, the more the better. Opt for cushions and throws in different fabrics, large soft rugs topped with chrome or wooden furniture, and knick-knacks, candles and coffee table books for decoration.
- Add some colour with green plants or wall art – but do so sparingly. There is definitely such thing as too much when it comes to Hamptons style, so for paintings go for one large photograph or two or three smaller frames in a series. Remember, the style is inspired by luxurious beach houses, so coastal-themed art is always appropriate.
Keen to get started bringing some Hamptons-style elements into your home? Give Image Blinds a call on 1300 657 100, or pop into our showroom on Zillmere Road in Aspley to see all of our plantation shutter and curtain options.